Sunday, January 02, 2011

How Are You Today?

Am currently reading "The Idea of Justice" by Amartya Sen which provides interesting insights on the theories of justice, fairness and the concept of reasoning but also touches upon other subjects such as linguistics like in the - quite amusing - excerpt I'd like to share with my readers today:


" (...) modern transatlantic usage has drowned the distinction between 'being good' as a moral quantity and 'being well' as a comment on a person's health (no aches and pains, fine blood pressure, and so on), and I have long ceased worrying about the manifest immodesty of those of my friends who, when asked how they are, reply with apparent self-praise 'I am very good'."

Very tue as well as funny ... thinks
Memonji


P.S.: for a less academic read on the same topic, try Michael Sandel's "Justice - What's The Right Thing To Do?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

... but when somebody tells you to 'be good' he always will refer to moral quantity, right? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Also try John Rawl's "Theory of Justice" and the other one which I can't remember right now. I might post it at a later point in time :-). K.

Anonymous said...

The guy whose name I forgot: Friedrich August von Hayek. As said earlier today, not really my world, but definitely more accessable fir me than others. strange, huh? der wandel hält an ;-). K